South Moravian Museum in Znojmo
Přemyslovců 129/8, 669 02 Znojmo
One of the oldest museums in South Moravia was established in 1878 and opened its first exhibition in 1889. Today, it houses 400,000 collection items created by the research and acquisition activities of the museum’s natural and social sciences. The museum manages 6 buildings – the Minorite Monastery, the House of Arts, Znojmo Castle with the Rotunda of St. Catherine from 11.-12. century, a monument to the inventor of the lightning rod Prokop Diviš in Přímětice (built in the years 1750-1754, before Benjamin Franklin) and the ruins of the castle Cornštejn near Bítov. Among other things, the museum library takes care of rare old prints from the office of the Premonstratensian monastery in Louka.
On-line collections: https://www.muzeumznojmo.cz/O-muzeu/Sb%C3%ADrky-on-line, and other activities: https://www.muzeumznojmo.cz/Vystavy-Aktivity-online_235
Brno Region Museum
Porta coeli 1001, 666 02 Pre-monastery
The museum was established in the 1960s by merging several separate institutions. Today it consists of: Podhorácké Museum in Předklášteří (* 1929), Museum in Šlapanice (* 1934), Monument to the Mound of Peace commemorating the Battle of the Three Emperors led by Napoleon near Austerlitz on 2 December 1805 (* 1914/1923 designed by architect Josef Fanta), Museum in Ivančice (*1894 with a collection of works by Alfons Mucha), the Monument of Literature in Moravia (* 2005) in the Benedictine monastery in Rajhrad and the Villa Löw-Beer in Brno (* 2015), which belonged to Greta Tugendhat’s parents.
Virtual tours: http://muzeumbrnenska.pano3d.cz/
Museum of the Wallachian Region
Horní náměstí 2, 775 01 Vsetín
The museum profiles itself as a multidisciplinary organization in the fields of social sciences, natural sciences and technology. It educates visitors on the basis of a multidisciplinary approach through exhibitions, expositions, events and publishing activities, and educates children and youth in the environmental field. It takes care of a unique collection of furniture made of bent beech wood, tapestries and lighting glass, and a collection of old prints is supraregionally valuable. Part of the museum is an observatory, which deals with the popularization of astronomy and other natural sciences.
The Museum of East Bohemia in Hradec Králové
Eliščino nábřeží 465, 500 01 Hradec Králové 1
Situated on the bank of the Labe River (Elbe) in Hradec Králové and created with loving care dances the most attractive building designed by an outstanding architect, Jan Kotěra. The institution of the Museum founded no later but in 1880 is permanently developing and collecting East Bohemia’s memories with professional interest and youthful enthusiasm. Among natural science, historical and archaeological conserved memoirs is the War of 1866 Museum at Chlum, the memento of a conflict that belongs to the bitterest ones in Europe in the 19th century. Defeated Austria lost its position in the region, and Prussia embarked on the journey to form a united state of Germans.
The Museum of the Vysočina in Třebíč
Zámek 1, 674 01 Třebíč
The Museum established in 1898 displays the history and nature of the Třebíč region. It is famous for collections of pipes, Moravian moldavites, minerals and rocks, as well a collection of nativity scenes. It annually stages events such as The Czech Republic Trade Fair of Museums or Pipe Smoking in Třebíč. The former Monastery and Basilica of St. Procopius and Jewish Quarter have been included in the List of UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
Vysočina Regional Gallery in Jihlava
Komenského 10 and Masarykovo náměstí 24, 586 01 Jihlava
OGV in Jihlava is housed in two valuable Renaissance burgher houses in the historic center of Jihlava, and its exhibition, collection, research and publishing activities focus primarily on art from the nineteenth century to the present. He now manages more than 6,000 works of art in his collections.
On-line collections: http://www.ogv.cz/on-line-katalog-sb and educational programs: http://www.ogv.cz/vyzva_deti_c
The Postal Museum
Nové Mlýny 2, 110 00 Praha
The Postal Museum was the first museum established in a newly created state, Czechoslovakia. It was on 18 December 1918 when the first Czechoslovak postage stamps – the famous Hradčany Castle stamps designed by Alphons Mucha were issued. The Museum contains a vast collection of Czechoslovak, Czech and foreign stamps; the building of Cistercian Monastery in Vyšší Brod exhibits a collection of items from the history of the Czech post office administration (especially horse-drawn vehicles, letter boxes, signboards, uniforms and means of telecommunication).
Regional Museum in Český Krumlov
Horní ulice 152
381 01 Český Krumlov
The museum housed in the building of the former Jesuit seminary offers in its exhibitions a comprehensive picture of the history of the city and the region. Extensive collections in the fields of archeology, art history, ethnography and pharmacy are dominated by a ceramic model of the city – the largest of its kind in the world. The door to the world of historical and literary Šumava is opened by a branch of the museum – the birth house of the writer Adalbert Stifter in Horní Planá. On the opposite bank of the Vltava there is a castle, which is inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Regional Museum in Jílové by Prague
Masarykovo náměsti 16, 254 01, Jilové u Prahy
The museum specializes in one of the most valuable materials – gold. It was founded in 1891 by local patriot and researcher Leopold Čihák. The museum is housed in a historic house called Coins from the mid-14th century, which was the royal upper office until 1420, which managed all mining in the lower Posázaví and middle Povltaví. At present, the museum has four permanent exhibitions: Gold Mining and Processing, Ora et labora (focusing on the Benedictine monastery on Ostrov u Davle), History of the Region and Tramping Posázaví. The museum operates three gold mining galleries: St. Joseph, St. Antonín Paduánský and the Halír adit. The first two of them are on marked hiking trails within the nature trail “Jílovské zlaté doly”.
The Regional Museum in Litomyšl
Jiráskova 9, 570 01 Litomyšl
The Museum of the local history and geography was established in 1891. It is devoted to the history of the region; the permanent exposition shows medieval archaeological finds in situ, as well a lot of unique objects. The Museum also operates a famous composer, Bedřich Smetana’s Birthplace and the Portmoneum that houses the museum of a painter, Josef Váchal. The Museum is situated in the neighbourhood Renaissance castle, which is on the List of UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
The North Bohemian Museum in Liberec
Masarykova 11, 460 01 Liberec 1
The North Bohemian Museum in Liberec is a successor to the Museum of Applied Arts established in 1873. Its collection had been built up with respect to the local glass and textile manufacture tradition in European context. Among the foundations was a collection that contains over 2,500 art objects donated by a textile industrialist and patron Heinrich von Liebieg in 1904. Incorporated as part of the North Bohemian Museum after 1945 were regional museums that had closed down, therefore the Museum would begin to expand and include natural science and national history and geography.
Slovácko Museum in Uherské Hradiště
Smetanovy sady 179, 686 01 Uherské Hradiště
Since its foundation in 1914 the museum has profiled itself in ethnography and archeology, and later in fine arts and history. The research and collecting focus is focused on the entire ethnographic area of Slovácko. In the field of archeology and history, the institution pays attention to the important period of Great Moravia, the first stable principality of the Western Slavs. The branch of the Museum of Folk Distilleries in Vlčnov represents the domestic production of distillates on the Moravian-Slovak border. Part of the international cultural trail of St. Cyril and Methodius is a Memorial of Great Moravia in the Old Town with a newly built research and presentation center dedicated to these heralds.
East Bohemian Museum in Pardubice
Zámek 2, 530 02 Pardubice
The beginning of the museum dates back to 1880. The main development occurred after 1920, when the museum moved to a Renaissance chateau built by the Pernštejn family. At present, it is possible to visit knights’ halls with murals, eight expositions and exhibitions in the museum. The most valuable collections include Czech studio glass of the 20th century, historical weapons, postcards and toys. The numismatic collection includes a unique find of several hundred Czech denar coins from the last third of the 10th century.
The West Bohemian Museum in Plzeň
Kopeckého sady 357/2, 301 00 Plzeň 3
Being among the largest museum institutions in the Czech Republic, the West Bohemian Museum in Plzeň was established in 1878. It opens seven permanent expositions mounted in four Museum’s buildings in Plzeň; additionally, it has a detached building in Rokycany: the Museum of Dr. Bohuslav Horák. The unique Municipal Armoury in Plzeň is the largest conserved one in the Czech Republic. It was founded by Charles IV, King of Bohemia and Holy Roman Emperor, in 1363.