Care for collections and cleaning in exhibition spaces
Recommendations for the care of collections and cleaning in exhibition spaces
- Follow the usual instructions for wet or dry cleaning, but increase the frequency of cleaning at least once a day.
- Water, soap and disinfectant spray (ie 70% isopropyl alcohol or ethanol) can be used for display cases and similar surfaces, do not use them to clean collection items. Pay attention to certain alcohol-sensitive materials and coatings (plexiglass, shellac varnishes, etc.).
- Ensure that cleaning staff are trained. If possible, work with staff who are already familiar with the specifics of the exhibition space and the relevant procedures for cleaning them.
- Freely exhibited collection items may only be cleaned by conservators or trained personnel.
- Increase the number of waste bins – pay attention to hygienic requirements when choosing them.
- Increase the frequency of cleaning – visitors will not be angry if they meet the cleaning staff in the exhibition space or in the toilet.