The National Gallery in Prague
Staroměstské náměstí 12, 110 15 Praha 1
The National Gallery in Prague, whose tradition goes back to 1796, is among the world’s earliest public collections of art. Showcased in six buildings precious in terms of architecture are masterpieces coming from the Central European Middle Ages period, the world’s masters’ extraordinary pieces of work, starting with Rubens, Gauguin to Picasso, Asian arts, as well creation of key personalities of the Czech visual arts.
Arts and Theatre Institute
Celetná 17, 110 00 Prague 1
The mission of IDU is to provide comprehensive services in the field of theater and other areas of art (music, literature, dance and visual arts). IDU collects, processes and makes accessible objects of a collection related to theater, is engaged in scientific research and education, and cooperates in the preparation of exhibition projects. He participates in a number of international projects, implements the Prague Quadrennial of Scenography and Theater Space, and is, for example, the seat of the European Union’s Creative Europe – Culture program.
Brno House of Art
Malinovského náměstí 652/2, 602 00 Brno
The Brno House of Arts (originally Kaiser Franz Josef-Jubiläums-Künstlerhaus) opened in 1911. Between 1946 and 1947, the building was rebuilt by Brno’s architect Bohuslav Fuchs to take on the current functionalist appearance. Nowadays, it has two exhibition buildings, four exhibition halls and three studios for residencies for foreign artists; it also houses Vašulka Kitchen Brno (Centre for New Media Art), and is a place of the project Brno Architectural Manual.
City museum and gallery of Břeclav
Dukelských hrdinů 2747/4, 690 02 Břeclav
The history of museums in Břeclav dates back to 1928, when the Museum and Homeland Studies Association was founded. The current institution was founded in 1995 and represents the most important of the history and art of the region. The expositions are devoted to the history of the House of Liechtenstein, Judaism in Břeclav and Slavic archeology in the exhibition Great Moravian Paganism.
DOX Center for Contemporary Art
Poupětova 1, 170 00 Praha
‘DOX’ derives from a Greek word doxa meaning of which among others is how things are perceived, a belief, and an opinion. The DOX Centre for Contemporary Art focuses on art projects and critical reflection on current social issues and questions, which overlap with other areas and disciplines beyond arts, such as psychology, philosophy, history, sociology, political science, etc. The complex of buildings either restored or newly built by Ivan Kroupa, Martin Rajniš and Petr Hájek’s designs illustrates the top of the contemporary world architecture.
Center for Contemporary Arts Prague
Dukelských hrdinů 500/25a, 170 00 Prague
The Centre for Contemporary Arts in Prague (CCA Prague) has been developing cultural programmes since it was established (1992). They include projects of valuable artistic quality, whose implementation provides broader social and cultural contexts. The CCA’s pilot projects are the “Galerie Jelení” (since 1999), documentation or educational programmes with lectures, and a comprehensive online database of Czech Arts – Artlist.cz (since 1992, resp. 2007), an international residentional programme (since 1995), and the “Galerie Cursor” (since 2017).
Alšovo nábřeží 12, 110 00 Prague
The Rudolfinum Gallery is one of the so-called Kunsthalle (art gallery) occupying a high position in the Czech gallery scene. It specialized in presenting contemporary, especially international art, which was displayed on exhibitions, e.g. Decadence Now!; Damien Hirst; Louise Bourgeois; Georg Baselitz; and Arthur Jafa. Attended by 161,824 visitors, the Gallery and Czech artist Krištof Kintera’s interactive project entitled ‘Nervous Trees’ was the most visited exhibition of the year in the Czech Republic in 2017.
House of Lobkowicz / Lobkowicz Collections
Jiřská 3, 119 00 Prague
The art collections of the Roudnice branch of the Lobkowicz family belong to the oldest, most extensive and best-preserved private collections in Europe. The collection includes 15,000 arts and crafts, including weapons and armor, 5,000 musical scores, 4,500 graphics, 65,000 books and 1.5 km of archives. Family collections were confiscated by the Nazi and Communist regimes in the 20th century. In the 1990s, they were reassembled and made available to the public in the Lobkowicz Palace at Prague Castle and Nelahozeves Castle.
Evropská 2758/11, 160 00 Praha
Kunsthalle Praha is a new non-profit space for art and culture in the historical centre of Prague. Located in the converted building of the former Zenger Electrical Substation, the gallery creates a dynamic international platform, an open meeting point for exhibitions, educational projects and social events. The mission of Kunsthalle Praha is to contribute to a deeper understanding of Czech and international art of the 20th and 21st centuries and offer an extensive programme for a wide audience of all generations.
Tokajická 152, 273 54 Lidice
The Lidice Memorial preserves the memory of the village of Lidice and the Ležáky settlement exterminated by Nazis in 1942 and seeks to preserve their names as a worldwide symbol of the victims of Nazism. The institution manages a unique collection of modern art founded in 1967 by Sir Barnett Stross, consisting of works by leading world and Czech artists such as Joseph Beuys, Gerhard Richter, Adolf Hoffmeister, Pravoslav Kotík.
Velké náměstí 113, 397 01 Písek
“Gallery by play” is a space where children and adults play together and create, where they learn from each other and where it is possible to freely cross the border between their worlds. Teaching in exhibitions is key for us, we are inspired by the approach of J. A. Komenský “school through play”. The four floors full of interactive permanent and temporary exhibitions through the game offer a lot of inspiration, creativity, experiences and knowledge.
Prague City Gallery
Staroměstské náměstí 605/13, 110 00 Prague 1
The Prague City Gallery belongs among the most important galleries in the Czech Republic. It particularly specializes in modern and contemporary arts; it collects, preserves and professionally processes art collections of the capital city of Prague. At present, the Gallery has displays in seven buildings: the House at the Stone Bell; the Municipal Library – Floor 2; the Colloredo-Mansfeld Palace; the House of Photography; Bílek’s Villa; Troja Château; and the František Bílek’s House in Chýnov.
Gallery of the Central Bohemian Region
Barborská 51, 284 01 Kutná Hora
The Gallery of the Central Bohemian Region (GASK) is the institution devoted to the 20th and the 21st centuries’ visual arts. Housed collections are displayed in a sensitive manner and through inspirationally composed expositions. The concept of the current presentation of the collection ‘States of Mind / Beyond the Image’ is based on single spheres corresponding to a particular human’s state of mind, either emotional or of thoughts when a piece of work is created. The Gallery follows up the mission of the Jesuit College as a venue of education as it evaluates collections and programmes by authenticity of testimony, so conveys their communication in the form that is familiar to today’s human beings.
Gallery of Fine Arts in Cheb
nám. Krále Jiřího z Poděbrad 16, 350 46 Cheb
GAVU is an art museum, managing a collection of Czech art from the 19th to the 21st century and an extraordinary collection of Gothic sculptures from the Cheb region. It presents collections in permanent exhibitions in main building, the city’s Baroque palace on main square, where are always several temporary exhibitions. Since 2016, it has also managed the Retromuseum – a museum of design and lifestyle in the neighboring building, a time-oriented period between the EXPO 58 world exhibition in Brussels and the Velvet Revolution of 1989, again with a permanent exhibition and two temporary exhibition halls.
The Gallery of Fine Arts in Ostrava
House of Arts, Jurečkova 9, 70 200 Ostrava
The Gallery boasts collections consisting of over 23,000 art objects such as paintings, sculptures, graphics, photographs and new media. Their heart is the so-called Jureček’s Picture Gallery containing works by leading artists (Joža Uprka, Antonín Slavíček, Mikoláš Aleš, Felix Jenewein, etc.). The collections also include a painting entitled ‘Judith’ by Gustav Klimt, as well as works by authors such as Hans von Aachen, František Kupka, Ilja Repin, Emil Orlik, Toyen. The building housing the House of Arts was built in 1926 and belongs to the jewels of Ostrava’s architecture.
On-line collections: gvuo.cz/top100, new acquisitions gvuo.cz/zisky, virtual tours: gvuo.cz/virtualni-prohlidky
The Gallery of Fine Arts in Havlíčkův Brod
Havlickovo namesti 18, 580 01 Havlickuv Brod
Designed to specialize in modern Czech book illustration, drawing and graphics within the networks of regional galleries being built that time, the Gallery opened towards 1 January 1965 to perform traditional exhibition activities at the East Bohemian Publishing House. It followed up art competitions by organizing interesting events on the occasion of the National Festivals of Humor and Satire.
The Litomyšl City Gallery
Smetanovo nám. 110, 570 01 Litomyšl
The Litomyšl City Gallery manages a collection of fine art from the 19th to the 21st century. It is located in the Renaissance house U Rytířů on Litomyšl Square, where it organizes short-term art exhibitions. The permanent exhibition of the most important works from the gallery collection is located in the Municipal Paint Gallery on the second floor of the Litomyšl chateau. The exhibition presents works by leading Czech authors (Emil Filla, Josef Čapek, František Tichý, Václav Boštík and Olbram Zoubek) as well as artists with a connection to the region, including Julius Mařák, born in Litomyšl.
The Moravian Gallery in Brno
Husova 18, 662 26 Brno
The Moravian Gallery in Brno is the second largest museum of art in the Czech Republic. It was founded in 1961 after collections from the Moravian Museum of Applied Arts and the Picture Gallery of the Moravian Museum had unified. It operates five buildings: Pražák Palace; the Museum of Applied Arts; Governor’s Palace; an architect, Dušan Jurkovič’s own villa; and Josef Hoffmann’s birthplace in Brtnice, which is the workplace shared with the Museum of Applied Arts (MAK), Vienna. It is the only art museum in our country that perceives fine art culture in overall manner, and works with art coming from the earliest times to modern and contemporary items, photographs, applied arts, graphic design and architecture.
The Mucha Foundation
Hradčanské náměstí 65/6, 118 00 Praha 1
The Mucha Foundation is an independent, non-profit making charity that cares for Alphonse Mucha’s legacy and his family collection. It is a co-founder of the Mucha Museum, the first museum in the world dedicated to the life and work of a renowned and popular Art Nouveau artist, Alphonse Mucha. The Mucha Museum contains about 100 paintings, charcoal drawings, pastels, lithographs and personal memorabilia that offer a brilliant insight into the creation of the artist who is famous for posters designed for Sarah Bernhardt, a legendary Paris actress of the late-19th-century.
Museum of Art and Design Benešov
Malé náměstí 74, 256 01 Benešov
MUD * in Beněšov deals with art and design of the 20th and 21st centuries, mostly of Czech provenance. The collections include leading authors such as Ladislav Šíma, whose name is also borne by the ceremonial hall in the building, Miloslav Chlupáč, a native of Benešov, Jiří David, Karel Nepraš, Daisy Mrázková, Dagmar Hochová, Libuše Niklová or Maxim Velčovský. The collections were significantly enriched by the donation of the leading Czech art theorist Jiří Šetlík. MUD * creates the background of art for the loving community from Benešov and the surrounding area in the social space of the café, library and garden, which is a sculpture gallery under the open sky.
The Museum of Art in Olomouc
Denisova 47, 771 11 Olomouc
The Museum of Art in Olomouc was established in 1951, and is housed in three buildings: the Museum of Modern Art, the Olomouc Archdiocesan Museum and the Kroměříž Archdiocesan Museum, where collections of ancient, modern and contemporary arts have been amassed. The Museum boasts the rich collection of fine art culture of Central Europe, which is to be assembled in the Central European Forum Olomouc new building . The collection contains 185 thousand objects. The Olomouc Archdiocesan Museum was awarded the European Heritage Label in 2016.
The Regional Gallery in Liberec
Masarykova 723/14, 460 01 Liberec
The Liberec Regional Gallery is the fifth largest gallery in the Czech Republic. It was founded in 1953 and in 2014 it has been housed in the building of the former town spa. The gallery manages collections of more than 21,000 works of art from the Czech Republic and other European countries and is thus a Museum of European Art. In exhibition dramaturgy, it places special emphasis on the art of the region and the art of Czech Germans and thus significantly helps to know and understand the forgotten identity of the Sudetenland.
Regional Museum and Gallery in Most
Čsl. armády 1360/35, 434 01 Most
The Most Museum was founded in 1888. From the beginning, it has been collecting historical, scientific and artistic collections with an emphasis on the wider Most region, represented by three geomorphological units – the Most Basin, the Ore Mountains and the Bohemian Central Mountains. Historically, the most important part of the collections is the personal estate of Ulrika von Levetzow, the last love of Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, to which a permanent exhibition is dedicated. Collections of insects, fossils, weapons, textiles, arts (including folk) and handicrafts are also extremely rare and rich.
The Rudolfinum Gallery
Alšovo nábřeží 12, 110 00 Prague
The Rudolfinum Gallery is one of the so-called Kunsthalle with a leading position on the Czech gallery scene. It focuses on the presentation of contemporary, especially international art, such as the exhibitions Decadence Now !, Damien Hirst, Louise Bourgeois, Georg Baselitz and Arthur Jafa. In 2017, the interactive project of the gallery and Czech artist Krištof Kintera Nervous Trees became the most visited exhibition of the year in the Czech Republic with 161,824 visitors.
The Vysočina Regional Gallery in Jihlava
Komenského 10 and Masarykovo náměstí 24, 586 01 Jihlava
OGV in Jihlava is housed in two valuable Renaissance burgher houses in the historic center of Jihlava, and its exhibition, collection, research and publishing activities focus primarily on art from the nineteenth century to the present. He now manages more than 6,000 works of art in his collections.
On-line collections: http://www.ogv.cz/on-line-katalog-sb and educational programs: http://www.ogv.cz/vyzva_deti_c
The Strahov Picture Gallery – Strahov Monastery
Strahovské nádvoří 1/132, 118 00 Prague 1
The picture gallery of the Premonstratensian monastery in Strahov, the foundation of which was laid as early as 1835, now houses for more than half a thousand paintings. The most valuable part of the collection is installed in the corridors of the cloister on the floor of the convent building. Two hundred paintings present part of a collection from the 14th to the middle of the 19th century. Furthermore, visitors can access the ground floor of the convent with historic halls, including an exhibition dedicated to St. Norbert, the founder of the Premonstratensian Order. Here is presented the newly restored largest collection of Prague’s early Baroque paintings, created by the painter Jan Jiří Hering for the Strahov Basilica in the years 1626-1630. Virtual tour: www.strahovskyklaster.cz/galerie-obrazu