General conference ICOM Prague 2022
WE ARE BACK! ICOM PRAGUE 2022!
Following the Advisory Council’s vote on the host city for the ICOM General Conference 2022 last June, ICOM and its National Committee in Egypt had started to prepare for the 26th ICOM General Conference in Alexandria. Both parties strived to meet the conditions and requirements for hosting the ICOM General Conference, an event which often attracts more than 3,000 participants and includes 150 sessions and workshops. The General Conference in Alexandria in 2022 was to be the first one in an African and Arab country. Alexandria, as home to the ancient and modern “biblioteca” would have been an attractive venue.
However, after ten months of preparation, ICOM received a letter from the Governor of Alexandria and e-mails from the National Committee ICOM Egypt, both stating that they are not able to organise the General Conference 2022 in Alexandria. The ICOM Executive Board had therefore no option – much to its regret – but to accept this decision and to cease the process.
As the city of Prague, Czech Republic, was the second candidate favoured by the Advisory Council, the ICOM Executive Board therefore took the decision to mandate its National Committee in the Czech Republic to organise the 26th ICOM General Conference in Prague. ICOM Czech Republic has now established an Organising Committee that has begun to work with partners on all levels from local to national and international. ICOM looks forward with pleasure and confidence to holding its General Conference in the Czech capital in 2022.
Dear colleagues we would like to share with You our idea of hosting general conference of ICOM in Prague 2022.
Prague is the best city to host the general conference of ICOM 2022. It is the biggest open air museum in the world. There are more than 100 museum buildings of all kinds of topics in Prague.
The idea of the ICOM General Conference in Prague:
• Sharing our cultural heritage
• Bringing ICOM to the Eastern European region for the first time
• Favourable prices allow more members of ICOM from all over the world to come
• Power of Museums
• Declaring the self-confident position of museums in the society
• Museums provide service to the society, this means service as well as care
• Museums influence the world
What we offer:
• 230-year tradition of Museums
• 65 mil. objects in collections in the Czech Republic, half of them hold in museums in Prague
• Since 2000 many museums have built new depositories, conservation workshops
• The most important museums are now undergoing large reconstructions
• By 2022, our museums will offer new exhibitions, new programmes, new way
Prague – Art & History
• One of the most popular and beautiful cities in the world
• Strategic location: Museums in walking distance in the centre or within easy reach by the public transport
• The City providing great value for money
• The City belongs to the safest cities in the world
Our Candidacy is Supported by
• The Ministry of Culture, The City of Prague and other organizations connected with Prague and support of tourism.
• Free public transport tickets
• 10 – 15% discount on Skyteam Alliance flight tickets
Proposed Venue: the Prague Congress Centre
• 20 halls and 50 meeting rooms
• Congress Centre seats more than 5,000 pax
• Suitable for different setups, number of delegates or events
• Located on the Museum line – the Underground C connects most important museums
• 25 minutes by car from the Prague Airport
• Panoramic view of Prague
Accommodation in Prague
• Total number of beds in all categories: 90,000
• Total number of beds in walking distance from the Prague Congress Centre 1 500
• Prague has the lowest hotel rates in Europe: €80/night